November 28, 2010

28-50 - Perfection

28-50. The latitude between which grapes can grow. I guess that really tells you all about the type of restaurant this place is however, despite the primary focus being on the wine the food is actually very good.


Thirsty, anyone?

The wine menu has about 60 types of wine all served in any option of size from a 75ml taster to a bottle. In addition to this there is actually an "exceptional wine" menu so if money is burning a hole in your pocket I guess this is your list. Very appropriate given it's location in the heart of the City. The wine menu changes pretty frequently, which is destroying my aim of drinking through the white section.

I have to admit I love this place. It's nice to be able to try a variety of wines throughout a meal and still be able to walk out of the place, as opposed to having to be carried.  The staff are charming and friendly and the restaurant itself is beautifully done. A restaurant where the interior doesn’t look like an Ikea catalogue - finally!  Comptoir gascon would be it's nearest competition but 28-50 beats it on every level.

Boyfriend and I headed out on a freezing Monday night. The place was unusually quiet but I predict in the run up to Christmas the place will be unbearable, filled with drunken city types enjoying the festive season.

Our starters arrived fairly quickly after ordering.

Duck Rillettes with Cornichons and sour dough toast – 7.00
So perfect it immediately made up for the hypothermia I had almost contracted on the walk over.

The Boyfriend had Trout, fennel and avocado with mustard dressing – 7.50. I gathered he enjoyed by the fact it was gone within a minute.
Both The Boyfriend and I then ate Sea bass with Shellfish volute and Basil Farfalle – 15.95

I LOVE THIS DISH. It makes me want to stand on the table and yell it to the whole world. The combination of the creamy veloute, the crunch of the sea bass and the basil flavour is so unbelievably lovely there aren't really words to describe it.

Boyfriend's and and I's diets were already firmly out the window at this point and of course we couldn't leave without trying desserts.

Rice pudding with maple syrup – 6.00

Beautiful, isn't it? It looks like its smiling and boy, was I smiling back.
The only thing that could have made me happier than the sea bass and the only rice pudding I have ever tried superior to my grandmother's. The addition of dried apricot and hazelnut provided a satisfying crunch and the praline ice cream melted seamlessly into the creamy rice. If it were possible to make love to a dish this would be the one.

Perfectly nice is the best way to describe this place. It will leave you with a nice warn feeling, an incredibly expanded stomach but a bank balance largely intact. The total damage came to only about 80.

28-50 Wine Workshop and Kitchen
140 Fetter Lane

EC4A 1BT

London
 020 7242 8877
28-50 Wine Workshop & Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...