February 29, 2012

Buying Shoes in Marrakech

I didn't shop that much the first time I visited Marrakech. There wasn't much I needed in the jewelry/scarf/ Moroccan tea set department, and because each store in the Souk had almost identical wares, it all felt a bit touristy. The one store I did love, that I would totally recommend every one go to was  "The Shoe Store".


This was the first place I made sure The Boyfriend and I visited when we went to Marrakech the second time. In fact I was so excited to go I practically ran to it. I'm not convinced it has a name, but I remember its location perfectly. It's about a three minute walk from the square, and is so small if you weren't looking properly you'd miss it.


 \
Anyway, this place has the most amazing flats. Every colour imaginable, and if you want a combination they don't have, then they will make them for you for the next day. The shoes are incredibly well made, and comfortable, and they use high quality materials. The shoes are made in Marrakech with local materials, so you are helping the local economy too.
My first trip to Marrakech my friend and I left with a pair each. The second trip I left with another pair for me, shoes for my sister and mother and even The Boyfriend decided on a pair too.



The price varies, Laurent gave us a good tip the first time we went which is aim to pay one quarter of the first price they give you. The Boyfriend, (a massive push-over when it comes to haggling), ended up getting the price to around 1,300 dh for the lot (from the initially proposed 2,800 dh), or 25 euros a shoe. 
How to find it? From the main square take the street with Cafe De France on the corner, follow signs to Pepe Nero and before you turn on to Rue Douar Gracou, you'll find the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...