January 16, 2011

Cigalon - Perfect.

I had a good feeling about Cigalon before I went. Maybe it was because it had been getting perfect reviews. Maybe because the restaurant looked gorgeous. Maybe it was because it was within walking distance of my home. Maybe it was just meant to be.



For the first time, in a very long time, I wasn't let down by a restaurant. From the beginning, and I mean the very beginning, everything went right. From the gorgeous rope door handles, to the charming and chatty front of house. Even our corner table overlooking the elegant dining room, which is now tied with Galvin La Chapelle as prettiest restaurant in London in my mind, was perfect.


I started with half a dozen oysters which isnt all that great a way to judge a restaurant, but I did very much like the plate it was served on. They were fresh, and all performed a satisfactory wiggle when reacting to the lemon I squeezed on.


The Boyfriend opted for a side as a starter - the Bacon and Jerusalem Artichokes Salad (or something along those lines) - which was to die for, and meant I immediately ate half of his as well. This is one of those dishes where the salad was much more than the sum of its parts.
Next, I had Veal (they were out of the usual pork) with salsify and vegetables similar to The Boyfriend's salad. It was heavenly. I am normally not a big red meat eater, but this was just incredible. Moorish and comforting, but not heavy at the same time. The veal was tender and perfectly cooked, and the salsisfy, which I have never eaten before, immediately became my favourite vegtable at all time (I am now determined to learn how to cook it myself). Only 8 days into 2011 and I think I found my dish of the year.


The Boyfriend's Bouillabaisse was equally wonderful. Although, oddly enough contained no seafood just fish. It was accompanied by toast with a mustard sauce provided a nice contrast of spice and bite to the soft soup.


The only let down of the meal was the dessert. Nothing on the menu jumped out at me. I really wanted Creme Brulee or something of that sort, but alas I settled for Carmalised Orange Mousse. It was fairly flavourless, although the Boyfriend enjoyed it as it was the kind of dessert the left you feeling light and refreshed rather than sluggish.


The bill came to around 100 which, for a meal of this quality in Bankerland is more than reasonable. Even more reasonable given this included 2 glasses of champagne, fresh bread with tapenade, a carafe of wine, 2 starters, 2 mains, a desert, desert wine and service from the charming and attentive staff.


I left a very happy camper, determined to return in the next couple of weeks. It reminds me a lot of La Petite Maison except slightly cheaper with more interesting food and a menu that looks likely to be changed regularly.  In a way, I hope this place doesnt become as popular as its destined to be. Selfishly, I dont want it to turn into yet another "Yes, we have a table free in 7 weeks time but you will have to eat at 5.30 and can only stay for an hour" place.


Until then, I can't wait to go again.


Cigalon
115 Chancery Lane
City of London

WC2A 1PP
020 7242 8373

Le Cigalon on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...