February 11, 2011

Androuet - When is a fondue not a fondue?

For those who don’t know, Androuet is a Parisian cheese shop/restaurant that has been brought over to Spitalfields market. The place itself is tiny, just accommodating 12 people snuggly. Given their space shortage, they have done a lot to make the place feel lively. I was really excited to try Androuet. I was so excited I spent the day preparing. I managed to survive 10 waking hours on smoothies, olives and dried fruit. By the time I rolled up to Androuet, I was ready and willing to eat the whole shop. We ordered a fondue for two to share, wanting to get straight on to the good stuff - although I was tempted by the truffle grilled cheese (if I worked in the vicinity I think that I would be here every day and at least 50lbs heavier).






Now, my main experience with fondue is limited to the most amazing restaurant in the world - a half falling down, 16th century farmhouse in the middle of the French alps, where everything you order comes with something that resembles a torture device to cook your food. This is a place, where if you order a Raclette, you get a quarter wheel of cheese - not just little slices with mini frying pans. Androuet, sadly is not one of these places. In fact when I asked which method they used, the waiter scoffed. He also told me that Raclette is only served outside and that yes, you only get slices. This should have been an indication that my fondue was perhaps not going to be as authentic as I had hoped.

So, when is a fondue not a fondue? When it is heated by a candle. In my opinion, it is the equivalent of eating at a bakery and watching your brownie bake in an Easy Bake Oven. It is toy food. Luckily, the cheese itself and the charcuterie were both lovely, and whilst the contraption may not have been authentic, the important part was.

My preparation actually let me down as in my eagerness I managed to stab my hand with my fondue fork. Equally, the Boyfriend and I were unsatisfied by just the first fondue, so we ordered another. To be honest, I think even if I hadn’t been starving before I arrived we probably would have ordered another, making this place not quite the bargain it appears.


It was a fun night out, for a casual midweek dinner, and it was different. It didn't cost any more than my previous night out at Jamie's, as it came to £40.00 (fondue plus a lot of wine) and it was a lot more enjoyable. This would be a great post work, lets grab a bite to eat venue or lunch time, I so want to try that grilled cheese, or a really great first midweek date place. However, if I want real Savoyarde fare - I think it prefer to test out L'art du Fromage, or L'Cave du Fromage. 



Androuet 
107 Commercial St
London
Androuet (Old Spitalfields Market) on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I really want to go! I work in Spitalfields so was thinking a post-work dinner would be ideal... Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...