June 02, 2011

La Fromagerie



I've been dying to go to La Fromagerie for ages. My normal cheese place " La Cave a Fromage", in South Ken, has been seemingly getting further and further away -  a product of my increasing laziness and lack of desire to leave the Holborn/Covent Garden/Mayfair/Marylebone area.  So one day my cheese and wine buddy - The Bestie and I decided to try it out.








I was expecting something completely different with regards to the venue of La Fromagerie, given it is off the very swish Marylebone High Street, I expected lots of clean lines and a polished look. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Uneven distressed tables, fruit and veg climbing the walls on shelves, deli counter and random bits and bobs here and there. Its a bit like a rustic Wholefoods with a seating area. In this sense it's quite entertaining to see the ultra-groomed with their expensive handbags having lunch on  rickity stools - it doesn't seem to add up. 


Anyway I liked it. I liked the way the cheese boards are created by theme - French, Italian, Strong and Classic. The real food was also tempting, but The Bestie and I were here for the cheese and charcuterie. 


Service, has seen a lot of complaints in other reviews but personally I didn't find it at all disagreeable, if a little slow. Our cheese took a while to arrive but The Bestie and I had a lot to catch up on so we hardly noticed. They were happy to let us sit for around two hours just gossiping.


I'll let the pictures speak for themselves in terms of the food as I have no clue what cheese we had, but I do know that all were thouroughly enjoyed.


The same can be said for the charcuterie board. Although it wasn't the best I've had,  I prefer the charcuterie board at Tom's Kitchen or Le Cave a Fromage. 


Their portions were  significant and accompanied by six thick slices of bread and four glasses of wine - all for £45.00.  I didn't love it as much as Le Cave, but that is just personal preference and lots of memories. I like the fact that at Le Cave, you will never get the same cheese board twice, and because it is so much smaller means there is a lot more interaction with the staff - but La Fromagerie is perfectly good competition. Now if only they could put one in Covent Garden I would be very happy.
La Fromagerie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...