October 08, 2011

Nopi



I am divided on the small plates concept that has invaded London. Yes, it provides flexibility, and the chance to try many things on the menu, a major benefit when the restaurant in question has a menu that leads to drooling and mentally questioning how many dishes you can order with out being judged by your waiter. But at the same time there are some downsides. Call me old-fashioned, but I like having a rhythm to a meal. I think there is nothing worse than having eight plates show up at the same time, especially if each comes with a hefty price tag, having nothing left to look forward to and not getting a chance to savour each dish.  Ultimately things get cold, the meal takes half as long as it should and the whole experience feels rushed.



  
At NOPI, this is what happened. It seemed as though timing was too much effort for the kitchen and so it was much easier to send as many plates out as soon as possible and then think - easy, job done.  After four of our five dishes showed up within five minutes of each other, leading to a difficult and awkward re-organization of everything on the table, The Boyfriend asked if they might just hold off on the last one.

Another problem with the small plate concept, is that often the bill racks up. At NOPI they recommend three small plates per person. With the cheapest plate being £8.50, but there being only one of those,  two plates at £9, and then another three at £9.50, the cheapest logical meal for two that one can order here is £55 and thats mainly vegetables and one chicken dish. With no alcohol and no service. The odd thing is, that the most expensive dish on the menu is £12.50. So at the same time the most expensive meal one would could create is hovering between the £70-80 mark, assuming one foregoes dessert.  It is a bit of a weird pricing system and seems to wholly lack flexibility.

It is a shame because the food really was great, but there is something about very frustrating about spending £40 a head, without alcohol, in under an hour, that left a bitter taste in both The Boyfriend and I's mouths. In fact NOPI, reminds me in this way of Hakkasan - famed for its "most expensive restaurant per minute title", sure it is not quite there but the attitude is comparable. In addition to that, NOPI is beautiful. White, gold, simple clean lines. Clearly designed with heaven in mind. Totally gorgeous.

Anyway, back to the story: 
The Boyfriend and I showed up late, (perhaps this is justifiction for the rushed feeling), after completely failing to find a Boris Bike Docking Station. Having missed Brunch by all of 10 minutes we were then left to order off the lunch menu. After ordering a cup of tea and coffee (to try and get the Breakfast feeling over and done with quickly), some bread showed up. 

This is where frustrations began. Our tea took about ten minutes to arrive, which would have been fine where it not for the fact that the first round of dishes showed up at the same time. Call me crazy, but I think it is nice to settle in a bit and mull a drink. 

Twice cooked chicken, succulent. Not sure I was convinced by the lime and the salt that accompanied the chicken, as it is not a shot of tequila, and thus not something that really needs to be done by the individual I dont get why this is left to each own. Not a problem just odd.



Look at these brocolli, excuse me I should say Brocolinni -  aren't they green? Don't they look good? Aren't they beautiful? They should be because they cost £9.  It was well cooked brocolli, on a pile of mashed potatoes and chilli oil, but for £9 I would want them to sing and dance, or at the very least make me look like a Victoria Secret Model after eating them.


Courgette and Manouri fritters with lime yoghurt, at £9.50 one got eaten before the camera could be found. 


Soft Shell Crab, nashi pear and plum wine dipping sauce - £12 Batter too heavy took away from the delicacy of the crab.





Miso quail, verjuice, honey and grapes - £12 was satisfying but not particularly memorable.






We left not exactly hungry but not entirely satisfied either. We had one less dish than we were meant to but given the portion sizes I'm not sure it would have tipped the scales in favour of satisfaction. Frustrated, we left before dessert, to wander round the corner and have a much cheaper bite at the Nordic Bakery.


I imagine for dinner the atmosphere is different, less rushed and more "meal like". With an expense account and a group of people, it would be an awesome place to come, but I guess The Boyfriend and I weren't prepared for the prices.


NOPI on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. I had a slightly better experience because I was there for brunch, but I didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not alone... I keep on feeling like I've missed something!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...