January 08, 2012

Automat -


The Boyfriend and I have a bit of a tradition, its a relatively new tradition tradition but still , of getting a long drawn out boozy lunch on New Year's Eve. Over Bob Bob Ricard, last year's location, we were in search of some other relaxed, moderately priced, cool restaurant.  This year it was Automat an upmarket diner in the heart of Mayfair - a restaurant that has been on my eat list ever since I heard about their Truffle Mac and Cheese and the invite only club downstairs
We arrived at 14:00, 30 minutes earlier than the rest of our group, which gave The Boyfriend and I enough time, to down two ginger ales in an attempt to assuage our hangovers, and me a chance to down a chop salad.



The salad itself, billed as a starter, was enough to fill me up for the rest of the day. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed eating it, Normally salad is something I eat because I feel like I should be healthy. This was clearly a salad for people like me - smothered in dressing with a squidgy ball of mozzarella perched on top, killing  the idea of this being classified as  healthy. It was pretty much gone by the time our companions arrived. 



Still feeling worse for ware, if slightly less full, the next round was equally satisfying. In need of hydration, and comfort, I ordered Chicken Noodle Soup. It was the food equivalent of a giant hug. Incredibly peppery, it blew away all my sniffles, whilst the noodles provided a carb hit. I was very happy.  



The Boyfriend's burger, was good, but he said that given a choice - Byron would come out on top. The fries however, were great, crispy light and best of all well seasoned.  



I finished the meal with a pecan pie, which was close to but not quite as good as the one The Parent 2, makes for Thanksgiving, it was sweet without being saccharine. Crunchy but soft, perfect in all forms.









The total bill came to around £275, but we drank heavily, and between six people got through an embarrassingly high number of bottles. It was a great place to go with a bunch of friends, and I'm pretty sure this will be my new place. I'm determined to make it there for brunch, and for dinner, and to attempt to swing an invite for the place downstairs. 




Automat on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...