July 07, 2011

Istanbul (1) - Zuma

So The Boyfriend and I had four days in Istanbul. For The Boyfriend this is no excitement, being an Istanbulli and all. For me this would be the highlight of my year. Now I know its pathetic to go all the way to Turkey to eat in a restaurant that I could technically eat in in London. I accept that. I judge myself. I judge others who do the same. Will I eventually end up as that person who leaves the UK and only eat in restaurants where they recognise the name? I hope not and I have a long list of reasons that attempt to justify heading to Zuma in Istanbul on one of our four nights. 






1) Its a totally different experience from Zuma in London. Zuma in London you can't eat outside staring at the twinkling lights of the most beautiful city in the world.
2)  Not only that, but the menu is different from the London version.
3) It is really great for people watching
4) It is one of The Boyfriend's favourite restaurants.




Saying this as this was my third trip to Istanbul, so I felt I could afford to start eating outside of the typical tourist box.






We ate a fair bit of food and drank quite a bit too. Two classic Zuma dishes - Black Cod and Chilean Seabass were of course cooked to the standard you would find in the London equivalent, flakey and soft.


The sushi however, was a total let down and actually arrived after the fish. It was bland and boring, and the ratio of rice to fish was completely off. I've heard from some of The Boyfriend's friends this is usually the case and thus its fairly safe to assume the sushi is a bit of a write-off.


Three sides accompanied this - duck and pumpkin gyoza, salad and artichoke with truffle.


It was very expensive (45 pounds a head - for sushi, three sides and two mains) as one would expect from a Zuma restaurant but a lovely evening nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...