July 03, 2011

Travels in Italy (4) - Rome, San Crispino Gelateria

I expected most meals in Italy to challenge my thoughts abut food. I expected the pasta I ate to show me how "real" pasta should be. The vegetables, to show me how "real" vegetables should be cooked and the beef to show me what "real" beef was like. High expectations, non? But on a culinary pilgrimage to Italy would you expect any less?


In reality, only one experience confounded my thoughts about food - San Crispino. It seems like a lot to say about an Ice cream place. I accept that. I, myself am not a big ice cream fan, in our 10 days we only ate the stuff twice but San Crispino changed the way I felt.  San Crispino is now infamous as Rome's best ice cream. There's two locations, but we headed to the one near the Trevi fountain.








I had never really thought about the texture of ice cream. Now I do, I realise the stuff I eat - Ben and Jerry's or Baskin and Robbins, (of which I am a diehard fan), is rather grainy, and, in fact, very unlike cream. At San Crispino the texture was genuinely incredible. It was silken smooth. It felt like with every like my tongue was getting a massage, made even better by the extreme hit of flavour that followed. I genuinely can't liken the texture to anything else, as i have never really eaten anything comparable.


I went for a banana/ caramel and meringue flavour. The banana flavour tasted remarkably like a banana except obviously much sweeter and better than any banana, but it lacked any chemically fake tasting component. The caramel flavour wasn't very caramel- y but the chunks of meringue added a satisfactory texture.


The Boyfriend's zabaglione and honey, I am not exaggerating when I say he ate in 30 seconds flat. I have never seen him consume anything with such vigour. By the time I was about a quarter through mine he was throwing away his bowl. 


At 6 euros, for the two its not cheap. Was it the best spend of the trip? Without a doubt.

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I are going on European river cruises this month. I am so not going to miss this! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...